Juggling Life with Joy!

Juggling Life with Joy!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Dominican Republic Mission Trip 2010

It is amazing to me that our mission trip to the Dominican Republic is upon us. It came up fast! I guess we have been so busy preparing and raising funds for the trip that I didn't notice that we would be leaving so soon!
Our trip will be from June 25th-July 3rd. Hilton and I are very excited to see what God is going to do this week. I have been trying to take these last few days before we go and spend even more time in the Word of God. His word is so sweet! Our worship pastor, Gregg Randolph, who is the mission leader for this trip made the team a small devotional booklet that we have been reading for the past 6 weeks. And, wouldn't you know that it has been exactly what I have needed to hear! The enemy has tried hard in the past few weeks to discourage me and also cause me to back out of my trip. But, I know that God has something special that he wants me to witness on my trip. Since the mission trip dates were announced I felt led to go. That alone is a miracle! For those of you who know me well know that I DON'T FLY!!! I am not crazy about it. I have flown a few times and still not crazy about it. But when God calls you to do something you step out of your comfort zone. I could have chosen to be like Jonah and run and ignore his call. But, God would have made sure that I would not be comfortable with my choice to be disobedient.
Most of us remember the story of Jonah...That was one of our devotionals in our booklet that we were to read. Well at first I thought I was doing well by saying, "Yes, God I will go to the Dominican Republic." But, I have let fears creep in and not totally rely on God to handle them. This devotional convicted me that I need to not worry about our flight to the DR and back, not to worry about my dad(which is very hard to let go of.)and his diagnosis of his cancer, not to worry about my children as they are in very capable hands, and not worry about the language barrier as I speak no Spanish at all!(I took French in high school. My mother told me to take Spanish and yes, I should have listened to her.) I have especially let my dad's cancer diagnosis consume a lot of my emotional energy. I have felt so consumed at times with fear, doubt, and worry over this. And it has seemed like road block after road block have come up just to get the oncologist to see him so we could get further information. (That is a whole other blog post in the future. )
Remember Jonah was afraid and he let that and worry at first stop him from going to the town of Nineveh. I personally couldn't blame him because, come on, those Ninevites were a vicious people. They were known for killing people in horrific ways! But when Jonah decided to be faithful what happened? The whole city repented! So, I am going to be faithful and try to focus the rest of this week and meditate on His Word and look forward to what God has in store.
Later on this week I will post a prayer post on here about specific things you can pray about for our team. We would most definitely appreciate all the prayers given to us through out the week. I am ready to see what God is going to do.
I will end this post with a scripture that a friend encouraged me to meditate on. Thanks Nancy James for that!

Luke 4:18-19
The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach the good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind to release the oppressed to proclaim the year of the Lord' s favor.

No comments: