Juggling Life with Joy!

Juggling Life with Joy!

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Precious Memories

Family

Nana and the girls




My parents and grandparents/this is my dad's parents









Gran-gran and me




My grandparents country house


Caleb and gran-gran



Kyndal and gran-gran

I posted this one because this is what I did when I was little! Everyone says she is the spitting image of me! I couldn't find the pic of me in time to post, but it definetly looks like me!

Holding my nana's hand!






Isn't it amazing how things can just trigger a memory? A smell, or a song, even a photgraph can all of a sudden make your brain process a memory that was at one time hidden in that complex organ. This past weekend Hilton and I made a quick trip home to mom and dad's. For one reason, my parents kept the three kids for a week and we came home to get them and spend a little time with our family. Secondly, my grandparents, aka, Gran-Gran and Nana are not in the best of health. It saddens me so much because I remember how active they were not too long ago. They worked in their huge garden, traveled to the beach, went on church trips, etc. Now it is a huge task for them to just go from one room to another or to get out of a chair. Nana is on oxygen and my gran-gran's heart, well, not very much of it works well anymore.




I know, I know, that this is life....unfortunatley. It just saddens me...but I am thankful to know that they do love the Lord and that one day they will no longer suffer when they are present with the Lord. I know that we must all go through the valley of the shadow of death, and we must suffer in this world, and God will provide us comfort when we mourn for our loved ones. But...it has always been very difficult for me to watch a loved one slowly pass.




My grandparents, (who are the ones by the way that caused my addiction to coffee)were the ones who spoiled me ROTTEN!!! I was the first grandchild to be born onmy dad's side and we lived beside them for a while/ I could do no wrong! I traveled with them and went to the beach all the time in the camper with them. Almost every Friday night I was with them.




Well we visited with them this weekend as I don't live as close anymore to just "hop in the car" and go see them. We are now about four hours away now. Well I immediately had memories flooding back....and I shared them with my kids and oh, how my heart was filled with joy of all the memories, but sad with grief that things are so different. For instance, I told my girls that on the fron porch of the house is where I would play games with my cousins and then daydream who I was going to marry. I showed them different things that I remembered about the house and things we would do. Like we would play church in the front room and I would always be the PREACHER!!!! I was the oldest so that's how I got to be the pastor! LOL!... I chuckled as I was telling this one because that must be how I met and married a pastor! God was even preparing me back then! :) Eating Raisin Bran every night as a snack with gran-gran, shelling butterbeans and peas, helping in the garden, playing school and waitress in the back of the house, doing chores with nana, and loving the smell of peach preserves on buttered toast and coffee percolating in the morning, riding home on Friday nights with my gran-gran as when he got off work at Rightmeyer and riding in his red truck. Oh, and going to Winn Dixie and buying eggs on Saturday morning visits to town. They live out in Aurelian Springs...most of you have probaly bever heard of it. It's about 15 minutes from Roanoke Rapids and you only went to town once a week! LOL! Oh I could go on and on!!!!




I really enjoyed sharing these memories and taking lots of pics to start new memories with my kids. I don't know how much longer I will have them but I want to cherish each moment I am able to have. i enocurage you all to cherish everyone in your family and take the time to go see family...especially if you haven't seen them in a long time. It will warm your soul and you will receive such a blessing by taking the time. Life is too short and time flies quickly! So enjoy!

2 comments:

SarahRachel said...

This post made me tear up a little! What a blessing to have memories like that! My grandparents were all in California so I have very few memories of them but need to document the ones I do have like you've done here! Sounds like a great visit!

Admin said...

I love the pictures! Thanks for sharing them with the blog world.