Juggling Life with Joy!

Juggling Life with Joy!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts. ~Washington Irving


I love this quote about mother's. How true it is. I am very blessed to have a such a close and wonderful relationship with my mom. She has always been my hero! I realize how blessed I am every time I talk to her, because I know not everyone has a wonderful and caring mom.
Even now, I remember some of the hardships we dealt with when I was a child. Mom went to nursing school and still was a full time wife and mother. Daddy had to hold down three jobs just to make ends meet so mom would fulfill her dream to be a nurse. She is my inspiration as I am preparing to go back to school to finish my nursing degree as well. I can clearly remember some nights waking up at 2 am and hearing her still studying for an exam the next day. Not only did she finish nursing school while still maintaining her domestic duties, but she finished #1 in her class. She is to this day a very successful career woman!
My mom was the mom who our friends loved to be around. In the summer, the neighborhood kids would come to our house and ask if my mom could come out and play too. We would play hide and seek forever it seemed on those summer nights. On a few occasions mom may have taken my girlfriends and I out to toilet paper, I mean decorate the outside of houses! She was also known to be invited to a few slumber parties also!
As I have become a mother and wife I realize what a great example she has set before me. My hubby and I both agree she is probably the most forgiving wife ever on this earth. Without bringing up too much family drama, I have always known my mother to quickly forgive. Mom and dad were high school sweethearts and she loved him with everything she had. They were married 35 years. It wasn't always the perfect relationship, but they did love one another. Mom and daddy did everything together. When I say everything I mean it...even pedicures and manicures. I even remember my brother and I teasing them a few times because they would wear matching clothes sometimes.(like sweatshirts or jogging suits! lol!) I also realize since having children how much she sacrificed. She hardly ever bought anything for her. I don't really ever remember as a child really appreciating everything she did for me as a child/teenager. I was a brat growing up and only wanted the best clothes with a certain brand name. Or I would NOT wear it!!! God has an awesome way of changing someone, because if you really know me now you know I am not like that!
I have always known my mom could survive any hardship coming her way. But I did not realize exactly her faith and strength she had until the hard, difficult, confusing 7 weeks that we faced with my daddy. She fought so hard for him. She never gave up, and when everyone else seemed to throw in the towel, she pressed on and looked at the positive. On several occasions, the only way dad's heart rate would stay in a healthy range was for mom to talk to him. His heart rate would immediately jump. Those 7 weeks, though hard taught me so much about my own relationship with my husband and the scriptures about marriage. The one that comes to mind is the one about two become one. As I was observing the effect she would have on daddy that verse so came to life. Daddy really depended on mom. He would be so scared or confused and he just wanted mom to handle everything he needed to get better during his stay. Even up until he died, he responded with her. The very last thing he did was respond to her voice. She asked him to kiss her one more time. He puckered his lips and he kissed her. Then less than a minute later he left this world for heaven. As I left the room where daddy was at to go and talk with my children I turned to see mom and what she was doing. I just remember being so tired and in shock about losing him. But, mom had this incredible peace and strength within her. As the nurses unhooked daddy, she bathed him. She gave him his last bath. I did not stay for that as it was a private moment. But, as they finished up, I did peer in the room to see if she was ok. She looked like such an angel. She had just finished his bath, and was telling him she loved him. Wow! I don't know how she did that. Even in that moment I was so hurt and shocked and started crying and she comforted me.
Today, while in church I glanced over at my mom and I so hope to be just like her. I have learned so much from her over the year's. But I real learned so much more through daddy's sickness. She has incredible faith, and trust. We reminisced this weekend about daddy and cried some. I know she really misses him. But I also know she is going to make it. She is my inspiration!

I love you mom! Daddy loved you too! Thank you so much for being my best friend and the best grandmother. My kids love you so much and I am blessed with everything you do for them!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

JB said...

Amy that was absolutley beautiful. I was moved and touched with a few a tears in fact. Talk about tugging at some heartstrings. :-) Love you girl and good luck on your new adventure in nursing school. I will be praying for you. Love always Jen Bell

Amy said...

Amy you truly brought tears pouring down my face! That was an amazing and sweet sentiment that your mom will treasure! You are a blessing girl!